simplicity        elsewhere        favorites        contact

5.01.2012

make something beautiful

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
With the constant flow of inspiration available via Pinterest, Tumblr, and thousands of blogs, it's so easy to fall into a routine of "copy and paste" creativity full of content created by other artists. Pinning, reblogging, liking, and browsing posts become the extent of our creativity, because it's just so much easier than putting time and sweat into actually creating something fresh and new, whether it be a poem or a painting.

I'm the first to admit that this is something I regularly struggle with. When I start comparing my work with that of others who are more experienced, talented, or artistic than I am, my work begins looking shabby to me and I lose incentive to keep at it. Scrolling through pretty blogs and websites, I soon feel creative again, but never realize that I'm only absorbing the ideas of others, rather than creating something beautiful of my own. It's a vicious cycle, and difficult for me to overcome because honestly, I'm a huge procrastinator. The computer chair is so much more comfortable than stepping out into the cold and wind with a camera.

My heart has been full this week, hence the quietness on this little space. Among other things, I've been pondering this matter of inspiration and creativity, and I've been making an effort to make something lovely and new every day. Don't compare to the work of others. Go outside, lay on the grass, and write a poem about whatever is on your heart. Take pictures of your siblings, remembering that you won't always have them close by. Don't worry about perfection or being professional, just make thoughtful images. Paint with watercolors just because it's fun. Get off Pinterest, take a walk and just think. Plant a garden, make jewelry. Yes, all these things require work and may involve minor discomfort before the end result. But if you make a daily effort to create something yourself, I think you'll find that it becomes increasingly easier to make beautiful things.
xo.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
just a note: all images were taken by my lovely sister Joy :)