simplicity        elsewhere        favorites        contact

5.08.2012

philosophy

There are several things I feel strongly about in the area of blogging. I've nurtured and cared for this space for over two years now, and I'm so proud of my metaphorical baby! Over this time I've found my footing, matured, become confident in who I am and what I have to give, and found my voice. Although I'll never fully "arrive", I feel confident enough to set out a list of what I value and believe regarding this little online world.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
I probably will never be the most popular or admired blogger, and I don't have a professional camera or a closet full of sophisticated clothes. Sometimes I write run on sentences, and my graphic design skills have a long way to go. My life is the farthest thing from perfect. But I do know this much--no matter what, I want to keep finding the beauty in everyday things and "delight in the lovely side of life." Yes, it's hard sometimes. A lot of times, actually. Things rarely go the way I plan for them to, I get frustrated, I make mistakes. Sometimes the days are bleak. But making an intentional effort to find the beauty in the mundane is one thing I will never stop doing. This is one of my most foundational values--beauty can always be found if you look hard enough.
Photobucket
Photobucket
I know from experience that in the blogging world it can be intensely difficult to know who you are, what your voice is, where your niche is, and be authentic. It's so, so easy to fall into the trap of "popular blogger imitation." The inevitable mental process says "if it worked for them, it will work for me." No one wants to follow an imitation of something, just like they don't want a knock off designer bag. People want the real, authentic you. I want to be the genuine me, rather than a counterfeit of someone else. I want to make something beautiful with my own hands, merely inspired by artists I admire. That is real, and that's what matters. I want to write like me, take pictures like me, live like me. That means embracing every day regardless of what it holds, facing challenges, and overcome my innate procrastination. I want to find what I love and be passionate about it and do it. I am the only one of me ever made, and so are you. This is another one of my core "philosophies" if you will, and one I have to constantly keep reminding myself of.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Blogging takes a massive amount of time and effort, and has become a huge part of my life. Sometimes though, it's vitally important to take a step back and reprioritize. (The red squiggly line is telling me it doesn't think that's a word...) It's terrifyingly easy to let a blog become my master, but its place is supposed to be in subjection to me. Every once in a while I find myself becoming too attached to this space--feeling unreasonably sad when I lose a follower, feeling like I have to post because if I don't, I'll have less traffic to my blog, I'll have lower stats, and then where would my life be?? Then I have to force myself to take a step back. Blogging is not a popularity contest, it's a way to express myself and document life. I'm not afraid to take a break now and then to clear my mind and renew creativity (and sanity!). I believe strongly that loving Jesus is the most important thing in my life, and if I let blogging come before Him, then it has turned into an idol. (!!!) My steps must always be directed by Him, not anything else in this life, and most especially not blogging. This is another vital "philosophy" of mine, and perhaps the most important.
These ideas aren't a recipe for success, just some things I've found to be foundational to how I go about blogging. Everyone has a different perspective that can be seen in their blog, and this is my perspective. My philosophy.

Much love
-Simi
p.s. There's something quirky going on with my header and the image mapping...please be patient while I try to get everything straightened out  :)